Sunday, May 03, 2009

Turkey & Unoaked Chardonnay....

This morning, before we started our day - I knew I had to use the remainder of the turkey I had roasted Friday night. And what's one of the quickest ways to utilize turkey leftovers? Use it to make soup!

So, I put the soup together and slow simmered it for a few hours, so that when we wanted it for an early dinner tonight, all I'd need to do is pick a wine to enjoy with it.

I selected Lioco, a Sonoma County Chardonnay. I often refer to Sonoma as Napa's "softer" sister; wine from Sonoma is typically less "oaky" - and this particular one is entirely unoaked, which means it's steel casked.

It tastes fabulous - a little bit of residual sugar on the finish like you might expect from a Reisling, but it's got a fabulous honey-like flavor that you would expect from a Chardonnay from this area, that hasn't been oak aged. And no acidity -- which, while I personally love acidity in my Sauvignon Blancs, I don't care for it so much in my unoaked Chards.

And the pairing with the soup...was nothing short of spectacular.
If you're looking for an Unoaked Chardonnay that will pick you a bit -- give this one a try.

No comments: