Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Sake Sampler...and a Sake Class!

So, this morning I had quite the education in Sake. Having a very limited understanding of this deliciously mysterious wine - I was quite interested in the portfolio I was tasting. I was not disappointed.



Good Morning Sunshine....





Interestingly enough, I've discovered that I enjoy a cloudy Sake - this one, a pearl. It tastes unfiltered, and has a delicious coconut like tropical flavor. There also was a fabulous Asian Pear flavored one that was spectacular - as well as some other ones that I'll post more information about shortly. I think my personal favorite was one that was incredibly crisp and dry - but not flat, as some I've tasted can be. When I say flat, think heavy minerality with little other flavor.

I'm writing this off the top of my head (as I drink La Nerthe Chateauneuf Du Pape Blanc, no less...) so I certainly don't want to misinform with writing the wrong names or styles of what I sampled. I'll post the correct information in a future post this week.

Needless to say, I'm quite excited about ramping up the variety in Melrose - and look for a Sake Class to come this fall.

Questions? Feel free!

No comments: