Tuesday, August 31, 2010

09' Bordeaux...They weren't exaggerating.

Okay, so everyone knows that I am personally not a huge enthusiast regarding hype from magazines on "how great" a wine may or may not be. With the recent press on the '09 vintage, I won't lie and will admit how skeptical I was. Mostly because, well - I always wonder how they can determine from so early in the barrell how well a wine will stand up to the test of time. It's not as if we all haven't encountered a wine that had promise right out of the gate - but fell apart after 30 minutes in the glass. It happens; so you can't help but wonder how they can be so sure of one vintage being so much better than another. I suppose that's why "they" get the big bucks, right?

Yesterday, I sampled 5 '09 Bordeauxs (Petite Chateau, non classified) that were less than impressive. I thought to myself "seriously, is this what all the hype is about"? These were not necessarily inexpensive either. I passed on bringing them in.

Today, I tasted 5 '09 (again, Petite Chateau) and they were fantastic and inexpensive. I'm talking ranging from $10.99- $14.99 on the shelf. Complete overproducers for the price range which made me step back and say "so this is what all the hype is about!".

They will be on the shelf tomorrow, and one -- is ORGANIC. Certified and on the label, so if you're looking for certification in a Bordeaux, I've got one for you - and it's delicious.

One can only imagine what the future will hold with the later releases.....

1 comment:

judith said...

Wine baskets are the kind of gifts that can be given on any occasion. Wine lovers will surely like it and will welcome your idea.